The Batter is the main protagonist of the game.
The Batter's appearance is that of a man in a baseball uniform wearing an uncaring, somewhat condescending expression. Despite this, the Batter has been confirmed to be inhuman.
The Batter appears to be reticent and unfeeling, often speaking in as few words as possible. He is determined to purify the Zones, is very straightforward about his intentions, and does not seem to give his own actions much thought. Observant, the Batter is very smart and can solve puzzles with ease, but allows the Player to solve them for themselves rather than deciphering it on his own. He appears to be meticulous in the way he goes about completing his mission and does not like to be held up by distractions. Why he is driven to purify the world remains vague to both the player and the people around him.
The names of The Batter's Competences are based on baseball terminology. Wide Angle is a unique skill which provides information on the enemies The Batter is facing. The "Base" Competences heal The Batter's allies (Add-Ons). The "Run with..." Competences deal low damage to an enemy, and have elemental properties. The "Homerun" Competences deal very high damage to a single enemy, but have somewhat low accuracy.
|1||Wide Angle||2||N/A||N/A||N/A||Analyzes the enemies' characteristics.|
|3||Save First Base||5||100||100%||0/9/2||Heals an ally.|
|4||Run with Courage||5||40||100%||4/8/3||Deals Metal damage.|
|8||Save Second Base||15||500||100%||0/9/2||Heals an ally.|
|10||Run with Grace||7||60||100%||4/8/3||Deals Plastic damage.|
|16||Save Third Base||40||9999||100%||0/10/0||Heals an ally.|
|20||Run with Dementia||10||90||100%||4/8/3||Deals Smoke damage.|
|30||Save Fourth Base||80||100||100%||0/3/4||Revives and heals an ally.|
|35||Run with Belief||15||140||80%||4/8/3||Deals Meat damage.|
|40||Save Secret Base||50||500||100%||0/7/2||Heals the party.|
Being a purificatory physical incarnation, the Batter is under the control of a soul from outside the world of Off. He exists for but a single mission: to destroy the spectres that overstep the divine laws and decide to sow discord among the living.
|- The Batter's section in the "others 02" image (translated), located in the "Sketches" folder on the official OFF website.|
When starting the game, the Player is assigned to the Batter and told that he has a special mission to fulfill. The Batter is aware that the Player is controlling him and that he has a purpose, but is relatively uninformed about the nature of the Zones and the world he is in. The Batter fights with different types of baseball bats and utilizes competences that are usually named after baseball terms. He acts as the savior of the world. Embarked on a holy mission, he plans to fulfill this task with the help of his puppeteer who controls his movements. In many ways, the Batter's relationship with the Player resembles that of a solemn religious crusader whose every deed, action and decision is justifiable purely on behalf of his higher power.
If the Player chooses to align with the Judge in the game's final battle, the Batter spontaneously takes on a much more disturbing appearance. He is now seen as a depraved, crocodilian creature with soulless white eyes, a mouth filled with serrated teeth and a pair of enormous claws. It is confirmed by Mortis Ghost that this is not a different form of the Batter, but simply a different perspective of him since at that point in the game the player would perceive him as the enemy.
- In some concept art, the Batter wields two Baseball bats.
- According to the Judge, the baseball bat that the Batter wields is made of iron. It is unknown if every bat is however, and the fact that some bats have elemental properties might suggest otherwise.
- The Batter's beastly form may be hinted at in the encounter with Sugar, who makes references to a "big ducky."
- In the Status menu, the Batter's Class is listed as "Savior".
- During the OFF anniversary stream, Mortis Ghost made several comments and jokes about the Batter.
- The Batter is a lesbian.
- The Batter would not dab, isn't a fun guy, but likes dad jokes.
- He can dance, but he doesn't like to.
- The Batter and the Queen are not married.
- The Batter and Zacharie as a romantic pairing could potentially work in an alternate universe.
- His sexuality is actually still up for debate, but after stating that the Bad Batter is asexual and knowing what he said about the Batter and Zacharie, it may be safe to say that he is not heterosexual.
- He is an Aries.
- Mortis Ghost's headcanon is that the Batter has short black hair underneath his hat, but it isn't quite canon.
- The Batter was created the moment the game began.
- The Batter made an official appearance in the cancelled platform fighting game, Indie Game Battle.
- The Batter appears as a skin in the game OvO.